Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Catch up!

 Our poor blog has been horribly neglected. I will take the blame for this, but I had good reason. Since the babies were born (and perhaps longer) I just haven't been feeling well. Tired, unable to sleep and breathless. For months I kept telling myself this was normal and I was just a "new mom". It got to the point where I didn't have the energy to do anything, I would tend to the babies basic needs and then watch them play while laying on the couch, or let them play on our bed as I rested. The last straw was when I couldn't walk up the stairs without my heart pounding out of my chest, it felt like I was having a heart attack (keep in mind I live in a tri-level house, lots of stairs, lots of pounding). Matt urged me to go to the doctor and I reluctantly agreed. I thought the doctor was going to think I was a whiny first-time mom. Turns out, I'm not.
I had been feeling so crappy because I was severely anemic (didn't have enough iron in my blood, meaning not enough red blood cells, meaning not enough oxygen to my brain). I had been anemic when I was pregnant and took an iron supplement, but this was much worse and required a blood transfusion. So, off to the hospital I went and was released a few hours later. I thought I would feel better instantly, but it took a few days. I am happy to report I feel SO MUCH BETTER!! I can't believe how bad I felt and didn't even realize it. This was about 3 weeks ago and I can't believe how much energy I have. I feel like a kid again, just in time for summer!
My medical drama was not the only thing going on in our lives, so here's a quick overview of how the Eckerts have been doing:
  • Home improvements, painted the kitchen and living room, removed our hot tub and replaced it with a deck, new windows and french doors and Matt learned how to texture- so lots of new textured corners.
  • Visit from my sister, aka "Aunt Julie", always nice to spend time with my sissy-face!
  • Trip to Oklahoma to visit my BFF, Christina. We thought driving through the night would be easiest on the Brellas, but we were horribly wrong. I was able to meet Christina's new guy and spend some much needed time with one of my favorite people in the whole world.
  • Visit from the Jolys. My friend, Kari and her new husband came all the way from Yukon, Canada to play with us. We went to the zoo, Garden of the Gods and Costco (apparently there aren't many places to shop in their remote area, so Costco is a big deal). We had a great time and I'm still a little shocked that the "husbands" are so much alike, freaky.
  • Texas kidnapped my friend. Matt's cousin, Kate and I have this wonderful relationship and I loved having her here to answer all of my silly mom questions (she has three kids) and be my mommy mentor. I miss her terribly, but hopefully we'll go visit her in Texas soon!
  • Bradley began walking!! Ella is still needing a familiar hand to help steady her, she'll be walking in no time.
  • We celebrated one more year of wedded bliss (and I got a Coach purse, I never thought I would own one. My husband is AWESOME).
    Christina!
Kari, did I mention she's expecting?? My kids are great practice!



 
Imagine an old hot tub where the covered grill is now.


   

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Such a busy family! So happy to hear you are feeling better and found out what was going on! I'm sure that was scary for you! Best wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete